Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tomatoes, Tomatoes, Tomatoes

Only a few miles from where I live I saw a sign for tomatoes for sale. Okay, another money making opportunity. Now this wasn't in the country on a farm. This property was a normal 1950s ranch style house with a yard big enough for about 300 tomato plants. That sounds like a lot but I have 40 tomato plants in my garden and they don't take up much room at all.

Tomotoes can be tricky to grow but a little online research and you could be on your way. You could also grow other veggies and sell them. Or now that fall is on the way, think about Indian corn, pumpkins, gourds and other fall fun vegetation for next year.

Keeping a garden can save an amazing amount of money on groceries for your own family. In our town you can plant a row for the food pantry. But it seems to me if they would teach the people who need the food at the food pantry to grow a garden the need wouldn't be that big. I have already purchased seeds at Walgreens 5 packets for $1. So you don't need a big investment to start your little farm, but you do need elbow grease and persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment